Film dubbng, USSR, 1960s-

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at ILLINOIS.EDU
Sun Oct 18 08:33:02 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues, Kayiatos, Robin, etc.

Starting about 1931, the USSR's "international studio," Mezhrabpom-Film,
was assigned to do all dubbing of non-Russian films into Russian.
Even after 1936 (appx'y), when Mezhrabpom was re-designated as the
"Gor'kii Children's Studio" ("Detfil'm"), the dubbing specialty continued
at Detfil'm.  And continued at least through the 1960s, if not later.

If a book has ever been published about the Gor'kii-Detfil'm Studio
(I'm not aware of such, but it might exist), I'll wager it would contain
a chapter about dubbing soundtracks at Detfil'm...

Best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.

   *  Date:  Sun 18 Oct 03:18:57 CDT 2009
    * From: <LISTSERV at bama.ua.edu>
    * Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
    * To: "Steven P. Hill" <s-hill4 at ILLINOIS.EDU>

# Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:33:56 -0500
# From: Anastasia Kayiatos <akayiatos at BERKELEY.EDU>
# Subject: Film-Dubbing in the Soviet Union

Can anyone recommend sources on the politics and practices of dubbing film in
the Soviet Union, especially during the post-Stalin period?
Please send responses off list to akayiatos at gmail.com .

Thank you.
Anastasia Kayiatos
Doctoral Candidate, Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of California, Berkeley