Film dubbng, USSR, 1960s-

Slivkin, Yevgeniy A. slivkin at OU.EDU
Sun Oct 18 18:10:29 UTC 2009

Dear Anastasiia,

In addition to the information provided by Professor Hill I can give you some inside information.
In the early 1980's for several months I worked as a contractor at Lenfilm Studio in the so-called "dubbing workshop" (tsekh dubliazha). If I am not mistaken, in the 1970’s and 1980’s dubbing workshops existed at two movie studios: Mosfilm ( I am not sure, may be it was Studiia imeni Gor'kogo) and Lenfilm, both workshops had recognized masters of this craft, but Lenfilm was considered (at least by those who worked at Lenfilm) superior. Dubbing usually was done by two persons, one was called "ukladchik" (usually a professional actor who often participated in dubbing, lending his or her voice to the foreign move actors) another "literaturnyi obrabotchik" (often a professional writer). The trick was to convert the roughly translated texts of the movie dialogue into acceptable literary texts and appropriately fit this text into the moving lips of the actors on the screen (that is why, by the way, in American and British films dubbed into Russian the characters often say “blagoda!
 riu” and not “spasibo”, the former word just fit more precisely in the lips of the actor on the screen when he or she says “thank you”). It was rather meticulous, painstaking work with every word, probably that is why Lenfilm's dubbing workshop often employed poets, including Vladimir Ufliand (who taught me the skills of "ukladka") and Elena Shvarts. The absolute star of dubbing at Lenfilm was justly considered Dmitrii Bruskin, translator of Polish literature and polyglot. Masters of dubbing worked on the film alone without “ukladchik”.

 YevgenySlivkin, Ph.D.
Department of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
University of Oklahoma
Kaufman Hall 221D
780 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, Oklahoma 73019-2032
Office: (405) 325-1546
Fax: (405) 325-0103
slivkin at ou.edu

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Prof Steven P Hill [s-hill4 at ILLINOIS.EDU]
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:33 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Film dubbng, USSR, 1960s-

Dear colleagues, Kayiatos, Robin, etc.

Starting about 1931, the USSR's "international studio," Mezhrabpom-Film,
was assigned to do all dubbing of non-Russian films into Russian.
Even after 1936 (appx'y), when Mezhrabpom was re-designated as the
"Gor'kii Children's Studio" ("Detfil'm"), the dubbing specialty continued
at Detfil'm.  And continued at least through the 1960s, if not later.

If a book has ever been published about the Gor'kii-Detfil'm Studio
(I'm not aware of such, but it might exist), I'll wager it would contain
a chapter about dubbing soundtracks at Detfil'm...

Best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.