Film dubbing

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Mon Oct 19 18:21:16 UTC 2009

*Many Russian интеллигенты (intelligenty) are fed up with the near-universal
practice there of dubbing;*

My impression is quite different. I regularly ask just about everyone in
Russia why no one subtitles. Typical comments:

We're not used to reading on the screen.
It's too much work to read subtitles.
I want to feel like I'm watching a real movie.
    etc.

I used to think that dubbing was part of a dark Soviet conspiracy to cover
up the original soundtrack. The fall of the Soviet Union, I figured, would
not only bring about an end to censorship but to dubbed films as well.

But in this sense, Russia is just following European tradition. European
films are often shot for multinational distribution with a multilingual
cast. Individual parts are then redubbed, depending on the market.

Then, too, there's the Russian tradition of redubbing even native-Russian
dialog. In Soviet days, dialog was redubbed because of bad sound recording
equipment. The Soviets could bug embassies but Mosfilm didn't have a lot in
the way of good shotgun mikes. Plus, redubbing meant that Barbara Brylska
(Polish) and Donatas Banionis (Lithuanian) could have accentless film
appearances in Russian.

-Rich