Film dubbing

Michele A. Berdy maberdy at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 19 18:43:04 UTC 2009

The preference for dubbing, voice-over translations, or subtitles is an odd
and inexplicable thing: countries do it -- or get used to it -- one way, and
then most people think it's the "only" way. Most Russians like their films
either dubbed or with a voice over translation -- sometimes one voice,
sometime a man's voice doing all the men's lines and a woman's voice doing
all the women's lines, usually with a bit of the original language still
heard. Most Russians can't stand the thought of subtitles (in the same way
most Americans can't stand voice-over translations).

However, perhaps because of the fairly large number of English-speaking
Russians, a few films are subtitled these days. Local movie theater
schedules usually note what kind of translation is used. But I don't think
I've ever seen a subtitled film on television. DVDS, however, (sometimes)
come with a variety of audio tracks and subtitles. Several American TV shows
have never been shown on television here, but are sold on DVDs. (If you can
believe it, House has a incredible following.)

I do subtitling of films (in English), and most of the directors I work with
have never used them, don't know anything about them, have no idea what is
involved, and don't have a clue about placement. In most cases they've never
even seen a subtitled film. However, because Soviet films used to be
subtitled in foreign languages, there are several studios with magical
computer programs, translators who have been doing it for years, and nice
break rooms where we can drink coffee and commiserate.

BTW, Americans aren't such big subtitle fans. Most blockbuster-ish foreign
films are dubbed for the US audience, with subtitles relegated to "art house
cinemas."