Film dubbing

Anthony Anemone AnemoneA at NEWSCHOOL.EDU
Mon Oct 19 18:45:53 UTC 2009

As I see it, there are two types of dubbing that we're discussing here.

Rich Robin is quite right about the advantages of dubbing in a
multi-national cinema market.  What many of us hate about Russian dubbing is
something different: the practice of putting a Russian voice-over on top of
the original soundtrack of foreign movies, so that one hears both languages
at the same time. I remember watching Sokurov's *Molokh* in NY in a version
where you could hear Russian and German and there was someone standing at
the back of the theater translating (reading an English translation?) it all
into English. It was a disaster, even if you knew all three languages.

Tony

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Richard Robin <rrobin at gwu.edu> wrote:

> *Many Russian интеллигенты (intelligenty) are fed up with the
> near-universal
> practice there of dubbing;*
>
> My impression is quite different. I regularly ask just about everyone in
> Russia why no one subtitles. Typical comments:
>
> We're not used to reading on the screen.
> It's too much work to read subtitles.
> I want to feel like I'm watching a real movie.
>    etc.
>
> I used to think that dubbing was part of a dark Soviet conspiracy to cover
> up the original soundtrack. The fall of the Soviet Union, I figured, would
> not only bring about an end to censorship but to dubbed films as well.
>
> But in this sense, Russia is just following European tradition. European
> films are often shot for multinational distribution with a multilingual
> cast. Individual parts are then redubbed, depending on the market.
>
> Then, too, there's the Russian tradition of redubbing even native-Russian
> dialog. In Soviet days, dialog was redubbed because of bad sound recording
> equipment. The Soviets could bug embassies but Mosfilm didn't have a lot in
> the way of good shotgun mikes. Plus, redubbing meant that Barbara Brylska
> (Polish) and Donatas Banionis (Lithuanian) could have accentless film
> appearances in Russian.
>
> -Rich
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Hugh Olmsted <hugh_olmsted at comcast.net
> >wrote:
>
> > Colleagues--
> >
> > About film dubbing in Russia.
> > Many Russian интеллигенты (intelligenty) are fed up with the
> near-universal
> > practice there of dubbing; they try hard to get foreign films with
> subtitles
> > (титры) so they can hear the original language, voices, accents, the
> whole
> > original integral oeuvre d'art.  But it's not easy.
> > And I when resident in Russia, spoiled by my foreign background,
> certainly
> > have no patience for this universal dubbing (one of whose manifestations
> is
> > retention of the original sound track in the background, creating a
> serious
> > sort of interference).  When I ask Russians for interpretation and
> > explanation of the practice, I'm frequently told that it's driven by the
> > demands and momentum of the dubbing profession, whose members need work.
> > don't know whether that's a serious explanation...
> > I wonder whether any one has insight or experience about the mechanisms
> at
> > work in this issue, and/or possible movements for change in the direction
> of
> > titry.
> > Thanks for any contributions.
> > Hugh Olmsted
> >

> > On Oct 19, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Richard Robin wrote:
> >
> >  Dear colleagues,
> >>

> >> I am happy to see responses on Russian dubbing. My own contribution is
> [...]

Anthony Anemone
Chair & Associate Provost of Foreign Languages
The New School
212-229-5676 ex. 2355