Film techniques of the 1920s

Margarita Nafpaktitis nafpaktitism at VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Oct 20 18:39:34 UTC 2009

Hi Tony,

Both of these English-language sources talk about lighting and equipment to
a certain extent, along with many other aspects of early Soviet filmmaking
that might be helpful (among other things, Kuleshov talks about filming
"Extraordinary Adventures of Mr. West" while actors are being burned by
sparks from the faulty lighting equipment - I'm hoping your former student
doesn't plan on going that authentic!):

Lev Kuleshov, Kuleshov on Film (Berkeley: University of California Press,
1974)

 V.I. Pudovkin, Film Technique and Film Acting, trans. Ivor Montagu (NY:
Bonanza Books, 1960?)*

Yours,

Margarita
Margarita Nafpaktitis
Assistant Professor of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Virginia
109 New Cabell Hall / PO Box 400783
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4783
Tel: (434) 924-3548   FAX: (434) 982-2744
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mn2t/home.html