Dartmore Institute in Prague (posting this for its chair, David Sparandara)

Polina Barskova polibars at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 21 09:50:21 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues--
if you are considering taking your students to Prague, this is a wonderful
program.
Hampshire College has been very happy with it--the program is personal,
diverse, sharp.
David will be at AAASS where you could meet him--if interested.

Respectfully,
Polina Barskova

My name is David Sparandara, and I am the Executive Director of the Dartmore
Institute for Central European Studies, a fully accredited and
not-for-profit educational institute, located in Prague.  The mission of the
Institute is to offer academic programs to university-age students the world
over, hence facilitating and allowing for a deeper understanding of the
history, art, culture, and politics of Central Europe. We offer innovative
full semester and/or three- to five-week study abroad programs in the
following disciplines:  HYPERLINK
"http://www.dartmore.cz/content/libArts/index.html" Liberal Arts,  HYPERLINK
"http://www.dartmore.cz/content/JewishStudies/index.html" Jewish Studies,
and  HYPERLINK "http://www.dartmore.cz/content/ArtArch/index.html" Arts &
Architecture, as well as a special program on Refugee Studies.  The Dartmore
Institute’s programs distinguish themselves from others in the following
ways: Our programs are Central European in focus, where all others based in
Prague are limited to just the Czech Republic. We champion unique
partnerships with universities and colleges allowing for joint curriculum
development and faculty involvement, which lead to tailor-made programs.
Students are afforded individual attention in all aspects of our program via
orientation, class selection, academic advising, and individual tutorials.
Study trips that are integrated carefully into our academic programs, not
tourism under the guise of academic rigor. Housing options carefully
selected to insure student privacy and safety but also allowing for
integration into Czech life. All student apartments are in Czech houses or
small pensions within 10 minutes from the study center and the old town.

We would be very interested in opening a dialogue with your university
concerning the possibility of offering our study abroad programs to your
students. The Institute would like to make it possible for your professors
to spend a semester or a part of a semester with your students studying with
us in Prague.  This professor would also provide direct oversight for your
university and create a strong link between the Institute and the university.
 The Institute’s mission is aided greatly through our cooperation with
Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland and its  HYPERLINK
"http://www.ces.uj.edu.pl" Centre for European Studies, which accredits the
Institute’s programs.  This allows Dartmore students to receive academic
credit for work done at the Institute.
 For more detailed information about the Institute and its study abroad
programs, please contact me at your convenience or visit our website at
HYPERLINK "http://www.dartmore.cz" www.dartmore.cz.  Thank you for your
time, and I look forward to any questions or comments you may have.
Sincerely,    David Sparandara Executive Director The Dartmore Institute for
Central European Studies dsparandara at dartmore.cz (516) 208 2452 or +420 723
747 125