Derzhavnaya bogoroditsa?

Michele A. Berdy maberdy at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 27 14:47:45 UTC 2009

Thank you very much! "Reigning" is indeed an excellent translation.

One clarification: I didn't mean to imply that you don't find the phrases
The Most Holy Virgin or the Blessed Virgin Mary in English Orthodox texts,
but that Bogomater is almost always translated as the Mother of God (or
Theotokos).

----- Original Message -----
From: "Svetlana Malykhina" <mlsvetka at YAHOO.COM>
To: <SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Derzhavnaya bogoroditsa?

Yet another suggestion, if I may.
It seems that the unanimous opinion of those who translated the name of
‘Derzhavnaya’ Icon into English (for numerous relligious sites and printed
pamphlets) is that ‘The Reigning Icon of the Mother of God’ is just perfect.
I hope that those translators were advised by the learned and prayerful
iconographers. Literary descriptions are often sufficiently reliable
evidence for the reconstruction of works of iconography, but for this icon
is not the case. One cannot find enough respected sources where this icon
was described. What is known is that this icon was painted in the 18th
century.
The Icon’s title is consistent with the image depicted. The icon at hand is
not a vintage style icon, however it goes on to the prototype All Merciful
(Panakhranta) or Nicopeia. Briefly about this type (one of five known types
of Theotokos imagery): Nikopeia means “bringer of the victory.” It is a
Byzantine type that appeared as an independent type of icon in the first
half of the 5th century. The word Nicopeia indicates the place,
Constantinople. The early Byzantine and widely spread style usually shows
Mary seated on a throne in a frontal position with her feet on an imperial
footrest. She is richly dressed in purple and the costume of the empresses.
Seated on her lap is the Child, whom she supports with her left hand on the
his left leg and her right hand on his right shoulder. This solemn and
majestic pose is often accompanied by two angels holding the orb and the
scepter at either side and as part of the frame. The Pantacrator Monastery
in
 Constantinople was the guardian of the Icon of the Theotokos of Nicopeia.
This holy icon preceded the emperor into battle and is credited with saving
the city on several occasions.
This type is represented by the Russian Icon – the Svenskaya icon of the
THeotokos (in other sources -- ‘Pecherskaya Mother of God’). According to
the oral tradition this icon was painted by the famous icon-painter Alipius.
The All-Holy Theotokos is shone enthroned with the Infant Jesus in her arms.
The throne is flanked by the figures of St. Anthony and St.Theodosius with
scrolls in their hands. All icons of this type share one feature in common:
the Mother of God is depicted sitting on a throne. She holds the Christ
Child on her lap. The throne symbolizes the royal glory of the Theotokos,
who alone is perfect among those born on earth.
The 'Reigning Icon' of the Mother of God is somewhat unique since the figure
at the top of the icon 'mimics' the image at the centre - which is clearly
the infant Christ - with His right hand in blessing and left indicating the
orb of monarchial authority, seems to offer the image of Christ reigning
from heaven as He reigns in His mother's regality. For the note, Christ the
'Ancient of Days' can be recognized by the traditional attire. Though
interestingly, many copies of this miraculous Icon were made and distributed
throughout all Russia, and some renditions seem unclear in a way of
depiction of the traditional iconographic garments for Christ. Therefore it
leads to a discussion whether the figure at the top portrays God the
Father/Lord of Sabaoth, which could be canonically inappropriate. I have to
admit, this issue is out of my competence and I dare to step along this
slippery road just for the sake of translation art.
All in all, it seems reasonably enough to use semantic approach to
translation problems, otherwise we can translate only a skeleton of a source
text.
On a different vein, Theotokos along with The Most Holy Virgin and the
Blessed Virgin Mary is used in both scholarly and ecclesiastical contexts as
well as in Byzantine and Eastern Orthodox traditions.
With respect for everyone's opinions,
Svitlana Malykhina