Derzhavnaya bogoroditsa?

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Oct 28 00:17:00 UTC 2009

And I would respectfully reply that the English usage of the Orthodox
Church of America (is that the Russian Orthodox Church in America or
another church?) is not a good guide to general English usage or usage
in the world of art. A quick survey of Google (using precise search
within double quotes) gives the following (the second figure is from UK
sites only):

Theotokos of Vladimir - 329,000/ 7870 hits
Our Lady of Vladimir - 72,800/ 921 hits
Virgin of Vladimir - 51,700/ 1890 hits
Mother of God of Vladimir - 20,700/ 921 hits

I assume that the large number of hits for Theotokos (a slight surprise
to me) is precisely to avoid possible contentiousness of translation. It
is used by Wikipedia (quote): "The Theotokos of Vladimir (Greek :
Θεοτόκος του Βλαντιμίρ), also known as Our Lady of Vladimir or Virgin of
Vladimir (Russian : Владимирская Богоматерь) and "The Vladimir Madonna"."

The Britannica online article gives "Our Lady of Vladimir" and so do
several Russian English-language websites, including the Tret'yakov
Gallery, The Vladimir-Suzdal Museum, the Kremlin Museum and several
sites run by the Russian Orthodox Church, such as the Department for
External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate.

Conversely the smallest category "Mother of God of Vladimir" is found on
several Catholic and Anglican sites as well as Orthodox sites. All four
titles can be found on English-language Orthodox sites. They do not
appear to have "major differences of emphasis and understanding".

Google is not of course a very discriminating tool, but, even so, all
this suggests strongly that while there may be local confessional
preferences, the most widespread untranslated name of the icon in
English is Theotokos of Vladimir, and the most widespread translated
name is Our Lady of Vladimir, as I originally suggested.

Will Ryan