piatiknizhie in English Pentalogy

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Tue Oct 27 21:27:44 UTC 2009

Along these same lines, some might be interested to find out about the
existence of a translator currently working in Russia named "Goblin"

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B4_%D0%
93%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B0

Official site of his studio: http://oper.ru/

Basically, he started out doing pirate stuff in the 90's - his
"translations-plus" took major liberties with the jokes and original script
with an eye better adapt them (ok, often completely change them) for mass
consumption by a Russian audience. He was successful, however, and now has
his own "translation studio," other translators working for him in his
style, and contracts with major distributors (and now works legally). He
does translation for South Park into Russian, for instance, for Russia's
version of Cartoon Network, called 2x2.

Most recently he did an "extra" translation for the film "9" for its Russian
DVD release. Basically, the film was released with its "proper" translation,
but as an added bonus, the Goblin adaptation was also included. He made
major changes - as he often does - switching or deleting scenes, altering
the monologues, etc...  see the Russian wiki on the "alternative
translation" for the film.
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_%28%D0%BC%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%82%D1%84%D0%B8
%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BC,_2009%29

Most of his stuff does rely on pretty base humor. But I find the fact that
he has been successful and is called a "translator" to be fascinating...

Sometimes translation does wander into the field of "adaptation" -
depending, of course, on the material, intended audience and of course the
client... but there is nothing wrong with adaptation in my book.

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org