piatiknizhie in English Pentalogy

Tue Oct 27 22:59:29 UTC 2009

Josh Wilson wrote:

> Along these same lines, some might be interested to find out about the
> existence of a translator currently working in Russia named "Goblin"
>
> <http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B4_%D0%93%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B0>

Or, in the spirit of ICANN:
<http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Перевод_Гоблина>

> Official site of his studio: <http://oper.ru/>
>
> Basically, he started out doing pirate stuff in the 90's - his
> "translations-plus" took major liberties with the jokes and original script
> with an eye better adapt them (ok, often completely change them) for mass
> consumption by a Russian audience. He was successful, however, and now has
> his own "translation studio," other translators working for him in his
> style, and contracts with major distributors (and now works legally). He
> does translation for South Park into Russian, for instance, for Russia's
> version of Cartoon Network, called 2x2.
>
> Most recently he did an "extra" translation for the film "9" for its Russian
> DVD release. Basically, the film was released with its "proper" translation,
> but as an added bonus, the Goblin adaptation was also included. He made
> major changes - as he often does - switching or deleting scenes, altering
> the monologues, etc...  see the Russian wiki on the "alternative
> translation" for the film.
> <http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_%28%D0%BC%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%82%D1%84%D0%B8%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BC,_2009%29>

Or, in the spirit of ICANN:
<http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_(мультфильм,_2009)>

> Most of his stuff does rely on pretty base humor. But I find the fact that
> he has been successful and is called a "translator" to be fascinating...
>
> Sometimes translation does wander into the field of "adaptation" -
> depending, of course, on the material, intended audience and of course the
> client... but there is nothing wrong with adaptation in my book.

This is properly called "localization," and it's a well-respected and
accepted field of endeavor. It may draw in large part upon translation
skills, but it's not straight translation, any more than opera is just
"singing."

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com