row

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Wed Oct 28 10:59:21 UTC 2009

If Chamber's Dictionary is to be believed, the only one of the words listed to have an Irish connection is donnybrook, a reference to a suburb of Dublin where an apparently riotous fair used to be held.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:35:45 -0700
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] row

At 04:37 PM 10/27/2009, you wrote:

> > You can use "row" in America if you like, but you should know
> that 99% of the
> > public will either misunderstand you or be completely at a loss.

This sememe (?) seems to acquire an unusual set of synonyms:
row, fracas, brouhaha, kerfuffle, scuffle, donnybrook.,* etc.

*Is it me or do a lot of these words sound Irish?

Jules Levin

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna