Derzhavnaya bogoroditsa?

Jack Kollmann kolljack at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Oct 30 06:24:29 UTC 2009

I appreciate the thread of this discussion that calls attention to cross-cultural
dissonances in translation.  As for "Uspenie," I favor "Dormition," with an
explication (footnote, if written; verbal explication, if in a lecture) of the
distinction between using "Dormition" vs. "Assumption" for "Uspenie."  Not only
is "Dormition" a more accurate translation of the Russian word, but it applies
to both of the two types of Orthodox texts and icons:  in one type, her "going
to sleep" in the presence of the Apostles (and selected others) is
described/portrayed; in the "expanded" type, her bodily assumption into
heaven is added.  "Dormition" is the single term that defines both texts/icons.
Jack Kollmann
Stanford University