Chernoe kofe i jogUrt, pozhaluista!

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Tue Sep 1 17:03:35 UTC 2009

Russian language purist periodically take one word and make it into an
anti-corruption banner, because they say language is getting corrupted.
(I periodically wonder how Romans should have deplored the disastrous
vulgarisation of their language.) As a result that particular word
exhibits decades if not centuries of fluctuation, unlike other similar
words. In the beginning of the 19th century such a word was "zvOnit". If
they had left it alone, the stress would have moved from the ending onto
the stem by the end of the 19th century and only historians of the
language might have heard about it.

Similarly the gender of the word "kofe" is a perennial stumbling block.
 From kifij to foreign looking kofe, but still preserving kofeëk. What
harm would there be if it had a morphologically predictable gender?

It's not like no other noun has ever changed gender, or adjusted its
gender. One of my fairly (5-7 years ago) recent discovery is the word
"kanifol'" ('rosin'), not a terribly popular word, so who cares: it was
masculine, now it's feminine. There are plenty of other examples of
various morphological changes, for example "sanatorija" is no longer in
use, only "sanatorij". Rojal' was feminine, now it's masculine.

Stresses move around in Russian even in native words, but in borrowings,
there should be no surprises that it adjusts either closer to the
original or more convenient for the Russian system. Péru became Perú,
Bostón became Bóston in my life time. And again such examples are
plentiful.

As a linguist I understand the trend, but as a person I deplore the use
of tvórog, why is no one mentioning it?  Somehow it's not on anyone's
radar screen, unlike kofe. Igor' Efimov published a very funny short
story about tvorog with stresses, but everywhere on tvórog. Would I ever
use that story in class? Of course not, it goes against my grain. But
obviously for a lot of people it's the norm. And the generation of my
grand-children wouldn't even know that there was an issue.

Alina Israeli