Chernoe kofe i jogUrt, pozhaluista!

Elena A. Arkhipova rkikafedra at nilc.spb.ru
Wed Sep 2 04:26:58 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,
I'd like to put my two pence in the discussion.
The "yogUrt" variant is actually the first one in Russian, though the stress
changed in regular speech very soon. But still, in the most reliable
orthoepic dictionary (Avanesov's one) it's marked as the only one,
"yougUrt". Noone actually pronounce it like that; this fact shows once again
that very often a new dictionary is just a re-writed old one, with no actual
experimental work done.
Very sad.

Elena A. Arkhipova, PhD, MBA
Chair of Department of
Russian as a Foreign Language,
Program Coordinator
Nevsky Institute of  Language and Culture
27 Bolshaya Raznochinnaya
St. Petersburg, 197110, Russia
tel./fax: +7 812 230 36 98