How do you like your coffee?

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Sep 3 13:44:43 UTC 2009

Krossovki entered the language in the early 80's, there were only kedy
before that.
Komp'uter sort of existed in professional parlance, but in the old
Russian tradition to use native word we used EVM —
elektronno-vyhislitel'naja mashina, they were enormous those days, the
size of a room. In the US they could be viewed at Boston museum, that's
the kind of machines I studied on and worked on in the 60's (high
school) and 70's.

So only when smaller machines appeared did the word komp'uter seriously
entered into the language.

Obratnyj slovar' russkogo jazyka 1974 which also lists what dictionaries
mention such-and-such word does not have either komp'juter or
predictably krossovki.

Alina