How do you like your coffee?

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Sep 3 19:20:18 UTC 2009

Alina Israeli's mention of professional parlance reminds me that when I
was occasionally involved in two-way technical interpreting in the late
60s-early 90s (in the later years mostly in nuclear power station
information exchanges) I found that Russian scientists frequently used
Russianized English words rather than the term recommended in the
various Russian technical dictionaries, which were often really
explanations rather than terms. Komp'iuter was certainly one of them,
and you can see why when you look at the (Russian) English-Russian
technical dictionaries of the time, most of which gave
schetno-reshaiushchee ustroistvo as the first translation (I think EVM
became standardized later). I can still remember the difficulty of
trying to handle a discussion on safety mechanisms in the absence of a
term in Russian for 'fail-safe' - by the end of the discussion the
Russians were using the English word out of sheer necessity. Nowadays
you can find feil-seif used on the internet (as noun and adjective,
mostly indeclinable, and possibly as a quasi-verb), but as far as I know
it is not registered in any dictionary.
Incidentally, the 1980 Sovetskii entsiklopedicheskii slovar' does list
the word komp'iuter, but states it is used mostly in science fiction and
English -language scientific literature.

Will Ryan