Wende-Kino

Keith Langston langston at UGA.EDU
Thu Sep 3 17:44:54 UTC 2009

Dear SEELANG subscribers,

My department is organizing a film festival to commemorate the 20th
anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the 1989 revolutions in
other Eastern European countries (a little late, I know, but we just
got the funding....). I have two questions:

1. The proposed German title for the film festival is Wende-Kino
(which I think can be translated as something like Cinema of the
Change/Turning Point), but we would like to have a corresponding title
in Russian or some other Slavic language, preferably along the same
lines, e.g. X Kino/Kino X. Can anyone suggest a catchy Slavic
equivalent?

2. Does anyone have suggestions for Slavic/E Eur films to include?
We're looking for films that would appeal to a reasonably broad
audience and in which the 1989 revolutions (or their aftermath) play a
central role.

If you could reply to me off-list at langston at uga.edu, I will post a
summary in case anyone else is interested.

Thanks,

Keith Langston

Keith Langston
Associate Professor of Slavic Studies and Linguistics
Undergraduate Advisor
University of Georgia
Department of Germanic and Slavic Studies
201 Joseph E. Brown Hall
Athens, GA 30602
706.542.2448, fax 706.583.0349