Scientists in Russian Literature

Muireann Maguire mm504 at CAM.AC.UK
Fri Sep 4 14:20:13 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I'm doing some groundwork for a future project on the depiction of
scientists as fictional characters in Russian literature from the late
Romanov period to the Second World War. I'm also interested in doctors,
especially those with scientific ambitions (such as Bazarov), and in
alchemists. The post-1920 period is virtually cluttered with fictional
scientists (Beliaev's Wagner, Bulgakov's Preobrazhensky, Platonov's various,
etc.), but they are much thinner on the ground before this. I'm hoping that
the many-times-proven expertise of the Seelangs community can suggest a few
names. I'm interested in fictional scientists from all periods, in
principle, but I would be particularly grateful to read your suggestions
relating to the period 1890-1920.

With gratitude in advance,

Dr Muireann Maguire