Grossman: VSE TECHET: poznala & uznala

Elena Ostrovskaya elena.ostrovskaya at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 7 16:11:33 UTC 2009

Well, there is the depth in "познать" that "узнать" lacks. It could be a
slow gradual process or a moment of insight, but the final knowledge is
something very big or very important. So in this respect 'recognize' might
seem too superficial. On the other hand, stylistically "познать" does sound
higher than "узнать" and bears a possible reference to "своя своих не
познаша", which in this context could be understood quite the other way
round. And finally (but in reality it will be the main reason, I think), it
is the same "самопознание" that appears in the next paragraph, just
presented as a verb with a verb with a complement, which is
a standard collocation "познай себя", or 'understand yourself'. I am not
quite sure if all these point directly to the third variant.
Hope it helps,
Elena Ostrovskaya