Tiuremno-blatnaya lirika [SEC=PERSONAL]

Tue Sep 15 14:11:47 UTC 2009

John Dunn wrote:

> I am also not sure about your final paragraph.  It is true that
> criminal structures and the armed forces everywhere, not to mention
> universities, public schools (in the British sense) and certain
> professions, all have their own slangs, and that Russian zhargon does
> have certain features in common with these slangs (I do sometimes
> wonder how Russian criminals cope now that their corporate language
> has entered the public domain).  Nevertheless, and in spite of my
> general scepticism about Russia always being 'different', it does
> seem to me that 'zhargon' has acquired certain cultural accretions
> that set it apart from slangs occurring in other cultures.  One of
> these, I would suggest, is that it was not just a language of
> association, but also one of dissociation (i.e. some people used
> zhargon to show not they were criminals, but that they were
> unSoviet).

This is not a new issue, and Russian criminals need not reinvent the
wheel. Exclusive groups throughout history have continually updated
their jargon as older versions leak out into the general public, and I
expect "real" criminals in Russia will continue to devise new jargon to
maintain the separation, just as real rappers and real ballplayers and
real academics do here. ;-)

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com