Tiuremno-blatnaya lirika [SEC=PERSONAL]

Elena Ostrovskaya elena.ostrovskaya at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 15 14:33:08 UTC 2009

Definitely it had to change a lot, and so it did. The thing is, the criminal
world has changed dramatically in the last 20 years: the crimes, the people,
the values  - everything. The language just had to follow.

This is not a new issue, and Russian criminals need not reinvent the wheel.
> Exclusive groups throughout history have continually updated their jargon as
> older versions leak out into the general public, and I expect "real"
> criminals in Russia will continue to devise new jargon to maintain the
> separation, just as real rappers and real ballplayers and real academics do
> here. ;-)

As for association and dissociation, I am afraid it is more or less the same
kind of thing. People did not show their un-Soviet-ness (sorry for the
strange coinage) by using a new language / dialect every time and thus
dissociating from the Soviet authorities. The showed it by using the
language of a particular social group and thus associating themselves with
it. At least, this is how I see it.

Elena Ostrovskaya.