the good old days, and that pesky letter "shee" (formerly "shch")

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Wed Sep 16 16:14:17 UTC 2009

Not being a Russian native, I checked with our Fulbright exchange
language assistant.

She said that sh-ch is primarily a convenient (and old-fashioned)
transliteration for the Roman alphabet, and confirmed that as a
sound/phoneme it is a soft sh'
She also confirmed what Blake Galbreath said, that in reading out the
letter it is called "sh'a."

When I asked her if there might be a regional variant she wasn't sure
but suggested that the standard, expected pronunciation is definitely
sh'

I find it a tad hard to believe that one would be noticing the
pronunciation of this rather rare letter while one watches films or
videos ...
-FR
--

Francoise Rosset