the good old days, and that pesky letter "shee" (formerly "shch")

Wed Sep 16 16:48:05 UTC 2009

Helen Halva wrote:

> I think there really might be an issue here.  I was taught here, in
> the US, in the 1960's, by native speakers, that it was Sh ch, as in
> fresh cheese.  In the 1990's, in intensive courses in Russia, I was
> taught that fresh cheese was no longer current, that the sh letter
> had a harder sound and the formerly sh-ch letter was like a very soft
> shh, pronounced at the front of the mouth.  How are modern linguists
> weighing in on this?

Щ has always been entirely soft, from start to finish. The question here
is not whether any part of it is hard or soft (the rendition "шч" would
be misleading only because of the Russian convention that ш is always
hard), but whether there's a "hitch" or something in the middle. In the
fastest and most casual speech, we typically hear a long soft [ɕ:],
whereas in more careful or deliberate speech speakers will often make a
break. Whether that's an instantaneous pause, a brief drop in volume, or
a slight affrication at the beginning of the second half of the sound
will have to be left to others with more sophisticated instrumentation
than I possess. In my experience, all three are valid possibilities.

It makes good sense in many contexts to conceptualize щ as two
consonants -- for example, as сч. I regard it as spelling convention
that we write ищу and not исчу but щёки and not счёки. This is probably
why it has survived as a long/double consonant all these years.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com