Mniszek sonnet

Inna Caron caron.4 at OSU.EDU
Fri Sep 18 00:49:56 UTC 2009

Thank you, Sarah! "Bezumstvu khrabrykh..." :)

I wonder if others will be so bold as to share their non-winning entries
with the List.
Come to think of it, perhaps "Pushkin Review" would like to run an entire
section in one issue compiling all the submissions, and someone could write
up an overview, highlighting the noteworthy lines and offering an analysis
of recurring patterns across the border from translation theory perspective?
There seem to be a few LTS scholars who occasionally post to SEELANGS, so
perhaps someone will volunteer?

What say you, esteemed Managing Co-Editors?

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Sarah Hurst
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:05 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Falen's Boris Godunov

I went in for the "Mniszek's sonnet" translation contest 2 years ago but
never received any acknowledgement of my entry, so I've written to ask
whether the winning entries are going to be made available for comparison.
Here's my attempt, please don't ridicule it too much!

We old men no longer dance away the night,
The sound of music fails to rouse our shanks,
Hands we neither press nor kiss with such delight -
Ah, I have not forgotten the old pranks!
But all that has disappeared, there's no more spark:
And young people are really not so bold,
And beauty's somehow even turning cold -
Admit it, my friend: our world is rather dark.
Leave them; let's get out of here, trusty mate,
Order up a jar, if it's not too late,
Of the Hungarian, mottled black with grime,
And we'll stretch out in some corner together
A sweet-scented spot, a stream as thick as lime,
And meanwhile we'll let our tongues untether.
Let's go, brother.