Mniszek sonnet

Catherine O'Neil oneil at USNA.EDU
Fri Sep 18 10:02:32 UTC 2009

Esteemed Inna, Sarah and all!

How wonderful to have this discussion on SEELANGS.

To answer Inna's query: Pushkin Review loves to promote and compare whatever new translations of Alexander Sergeevich and his fellow Romantics any of us would care to produce. The more variety we have in these translations the better for Slavic studies in English!

Anyone interested specifically in translation should contact me or Angela Brintlinger -- we often need reviewers and critics for new translations.

We did consider publishing all the sonnet entries but decided not to because when read altogether in a batch it sounded a bit too, well, jangly. Rhymes in English are a dangerous thing.

The judges and editors gave each entry careful consideration (and notified the contestants who lost!) and made some hard choices.

Interested parties should... join NAPS and see for themselves :)

Warm regards,
Catherine

Dr. Catherine O'Neil
Associate Professor of Russian