Falen

Inna Caron caron.4 at OSU.EDU
Fri Sep 18 15:37:09 UTC 2009

Thank you, Catherine!

Still, if anyone knows the answer to my original query, or has some contact
information for James Falen that they are at liberty to share, I would much
appreciate a response - off-list, if preferred.

I am working on something here where I champion the importance of rhyme. An
insight about the translation of "Boris Godunov," which I planned on using
as example, would enhance the argument. I really want to know why someone
like James Falen, who is not in the slightest intimidated by the alleged
shortage of rhymes in English, chose to skip them in Mniszek's sonnet and
those few other places.

Inna Caron
The Ohio State University

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Catherine O'Neil
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 6:03 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Mniszek sonnet

Esteemed Inna, Sarah and all!

How wonderful to have this discussion on SEELANGS.

To answer Inna's query: Pushkin Review loves to promote and compare whatever
new translations of Alexander Sergeevich and his fellow Romantics any of us
would care to produce. The more variety we have in these translations the
better for Slavic studies in English!

Anyone interested specifically in translation should contact me or Angela
Brintlinger -- we often need reviewers and critics for new translations.

We did consider publishing all the sonnet entries but decided not to because
when read altogether in a batch it sounded a bit too, well, jangly. Rhymes
in English are a dangerous thing.

The judges and editors gave each entry careful consideration (and notified
the contestants who lost!) and made some hard choices.

Interested parties should... join NAPS and see for themselves :)

Warm regards,
Catherine

Dr. Catherine O'Neil
Associate Professor of Russian