the good old days, and that pesky letter "shee" (formerly "shch")

crosswhi at RICE.EDU crosswhi at RICE.EDU
Fri Sep 18 16:51:20 UTC 2009

Thanks for your replies Paul, Will, and Susan!

You know, this actually has more of a Slavic relevance than I thought.
I just checked in Bondarko's Fonetika Sovremennogo Russkogo Iazyka
(1998), and she is completely using IPA, down to using [ɑ] for
orthographic a, although she notes it is a little fronted compared to
other languages that have that vowel. Judging from the charts on page
264, it looks like she's got fronted allophones (presumably due to
palatalized consonants) mostly clustering around *low front* [a], with
only a few near the higher front vowels [æ] and [ɛ]. So that is
completely in line with what we were talking about for the British low
vowels.

Paul, you're right that the British vowel change also has some
centralization to it. It would be more accurate to say "lowering with
some backing," I guess. But as you say, not to an actual back vowel
like [ɑ]. The phenomenon you're referring to in American English is
described in the literature as "BATH raising." If you search for that
phrase in Google books, you can read a great description in vol. 3 of
Wells's Accents of English. The British pronunciation of [pɑ:s] for
"pass" can be similarly sought out in vol. 1 as "TRAP-BATH split". And
as I understand it, for speakers with an advanced Northern Cities
shift (i.e., where the sound change has "gotten further"), fronting of
[ɑ] gives a new [æ], with [stæp] signs and dentists in nice white
[smæks]. Finally, in case you're interested, the American speaker in
Ladefoged's materials did grow up in Ithaca -- good call.

Best wishes,

Katherine

--
Katherine Crosswhite