Diabolical gramophones in Belyi's Petersburg

beyer beyer at MIDDLEBURY.EDU
Thu Apr 1 01:10:53 UTC 2010

The John Elsworth translation (2009) on page 284 gives the following:

The animal howls of the machine filled the air: the cry of an immense
bull being butchered: tambourines were bursting, bursting, bursting.

Notice how Elsworth captures the Russian plosives in English.  I
highly recommend his translation for students and scholars alike.

Tom Beyer
Middlebury College