Diabolical gramophones in Belyi's Petersburg

Mieka Erley merley at BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Apr 1 03:09:23 UTC 2010

Dear Professor Bayer,

Thank you so much for pointing me to this translation, which I knew
nothing of. It is beautifully rendered, if this line alone is anything
to judge from. Professor Alexandrov likewise recommended "bursting"
precisely with its evocation of the bomb and explosion--perhaps I was
too distracted by the slaughterhouse imagery and hung up on digestion
(though if the tambourines could "be devoured," I don't know).

I'll look forward to reading the rest of Elsworth's translation!

With many thanks and best wishes,
Mieka