Vasily Grossman - 'The Town of Berdichev' - katsapka

Elena Ostrovskaya elena.ostrovskaya at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 9 07:30:44 UTC 2010

Dear Robert,
I would definitely choose "it' for the child as it is "ono" in the original.
As for 'katsapka", I would not mix Ukranian slang with the Jewish (though I
am not from Ukraine, so I can miss some nuances). I guess, I would stay with
transliteration (it's always nice to get some original flavour) or may
 be just with derogative Russian, and change the whole construction of
sentence for something like:
'You should see this crazy Russian woman!". I am definitely not up to the
actual translation, but this derogatory 'woman', as in 'this Johnson woman'
might work as compensation.
My two pence.
Elena Ostrovskaya