Connecticut College proposes to merge Slavic Studies and German departments

Andrea Lanoux alano at CONNCOLL.EDU
Wed Apr 21 15:27:53 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues,

On April 7, 2010, the Dean of the Faculty at Connecticut College sent
to the faculty a proposal to merge the Department of Slavic Studies
and the German Department into a new European Studies program. The
members of these departments are concerned not only about the
curricular integrity of a European Studies program that excludes much
of Europe, but also about evidence that the proposed merger is merely
a pretense to eliminate two small, quality programs since both
departments have open faculty lines this year.

We believe that without an immediate and concerted effort to express
our concerns to members of the administration with the support of
colleagues in our fields nationwide, the current proposal will become
a definite plan over the summer. Two days ago our students established
the facebook page, "Save Slavic Studies and German Studies at
Connecticut College," which currently has 200 members:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=103575866352651&ref=ts

Please take a minute to join us and express your support on our wall.
I know that many of you have worked tirelessly to save a number of
programs across the country, to which all of us are indebted. If you
have a "letter on file" that articulates the critical importance of
Russian and Slavic Studies, especially at the present historical-
geopolitical moment and given the corporatization of the humanities
and the liberal arts, please consider sending it to Roger Brooks, Dean
of the Faculty at Connecticut College, rlbro at conncoll.edu.

With sincere thanks for your help,

Andrea Lanoux, Associate Professor
and Chair, Department of Slavic Studies