Forwarded from MEMORIAL: сталински е плакаты и первая победа в Катынском деле

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Fri Apr 23 15:02:50 UTC 2010

Dear Robert, dear all,
Both pieces of news are excellent. I know several members of MEMORIAL (Belenkin, Roginskij, Golovkova), so I am mighty glad--especially because they have managed to make public the Katyn massacre documents--an important step in healing Russian-Polish relations, among other good aspects.
Robert, I am also very grateful for your letter to NYRB about our collaboration. Angela certainly deserves a praise. Unlike myself, she has done fascinating translations on her own. The one I still like best is Tsvetaeva's "Krysolov", but she also has done the impossible with many Pasternak poems. She also wrote to me recently about her work on Tsvetaeva's "Phedra". Can't wait. But above all, thank you for writing the piece: I am sure many colleagues are grateful to you now! Even st. Jerome, whom, I know, you venerate, being a hermit, still had many collaborators, including the learned rabbis of his time--let alone the 70 (or 72) Alexandrian Jews, let alone the King James! So many grateful voices are joining mine now--both here and even in heaven :)
Translators of all countries--unite!
o.m.