Versification question, Tsvetaeva

Mon Apr 26 14:14:40 UTC 2010

Last week, I wrote:

> Molly Thomasy Blasing wrote:
>
>> Dear Francoise,
>>
>> A wonderful choice!  I own a recording of Tsvetaeva poems (read by an
>> actress--there are no recordings of Tsvetaeva reading her work, as I
>> understand) and the stress is, as you suggested, on the first
>> syllable of PO-ru.
>
> This is also the standard stress on the accusative, is it not?
>
> Пора is one of a small set of two- (occasionally three-) syllable
> feminine nouns with retracted stress in the accusative singular.
> Compare: нога, рука, голова (from Common Slavic *golvā via pleophony),
> щека, etc. (but глава with no retraction from Bulgarian).
>
> To the best of my knowledge, these have not yet been leveled out, at
> least in the literary language.

A few more examples came to mind as I was cleaning out old emails. This
is still a closed class of ancient words, with only a few dozen members.
Most grammar books will have a more complete list.

беда, гора, дева, зима, земля, изба, река, сковорода(!), спина, стена,
сторона, цена

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com