Out of the frying-pan...

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Mon Apr 26 15:21:20 UTC 2010

The position with сковороду seems rather complicated.  My 1961 and 1972 editions of Ozhegov offer only final stress; Zaliznjak's Grammaticheskij slovar' (1977), the 1985 Orfoepicheskij slovar' and my 1992 edition of Ozhegov and Shvedova all give first syllable stress as obsolescent; the Russkij orfograficheskij slovar' of 2005 (which I think is one of gramota.ru's sources) gives both stresses without comment; the Bol'shoj tolkovyj slovar' of 1998/2004 allows only first syllable stress.

It looks as if скОвороду may be staging a come-back; perhaps people have been out in the streets, demonstrating in its support, as they have in the case of йОгурт and договОр.* In any event judicious use of the diminutive will obviate the problem.

John Dunn.

*http://www.gazeta.ru/news/lenta/2010/04/25/n_1487587.shtml

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Goldberg <stuart.goldberg at MODLANGS.GATECH.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:37:53 -0400
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Versification question, Tsvetaeva

But it's бедУ and дЕва, so these can't be part of the list.

Gramota does give скОвороду as one variant.  Never heard anyone say
this. Is it an older form on its way out?

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna