Out of the frying-pan...

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Apr 26 15:44:49 UTC 2010

I think it's the case of Moscow vs. Leningrad.

4-volume 1984 dictionary (Leningrad) gives two stress (never mind that
is says Moscow on the first page, Evgen'eva lived in Leningrad, and MAC
is a reduced BAC, 17-vol, with some corrections and editions of course),
BTS — one stress on the first syllable.

Ozhegov (Moscow) gives a final stress, so does Zaliznjak 2008,
mentioning that the first syllable stress is obsolete.

AI