Special volume on Translation

Inna Caron caron.4 at BUCKEYEMAIL.OSU.EDU
Fri Apr 30 13:14:41 UTC 2010

Bless you, Michael!

What about the actual translations - of the aforementioned 19th-century Russian literature, particularly of poetry and/or drama? I've been searching in vain for any prospective venue for "Maskarad."

Inna

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] on behalf of Katz, Michael R. [mkatz at MIDDLEBURY.EDU]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 8:58 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Special volume on Translation

Dear colleagues:

I have been asked to serve as Guest Editor of a special volume of a well-known and respected Brazilian journal called Cadernos de Tradução  [http://www.periodicos.ufsc.br/index.php/traducao], a peer reviewed Journal of Translation Studies published by the Programa de Pós-Graduação em Estudos da Tradução - PPGET [Graduate Program in Translation Studies] at the Federal University of Santa Catarina in Florianopolis, Brazil (where I am spending the current semester teaching on a Fulbright grant).

Published twice a year, the journal was founded in 1996 by professors at the university and accepts submission of articles, reviews (of both of academic publications and published translations), and interviews relating to translation as a practice and Translation Studies as a discipline.

Cadernos has become recognized as a major forum for discussion of the subject -  ranking A2 in the Brazilian Journal Rank "Qualis" [http://www.capes.gov.br/avaliacao/qualis] - and aims to promote national and international debate on translation and its significance in cultures and languages in contact.

The theme of the special volume that I have been asked to edit is the "Translation of 19th century Russian Literature (poetry, prose, and drama)."

Of particular interest would be any meaningful cultural connections that could be established between Russian culture and that of Latin America (both Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking countries).

Papers may be written in any language, including Russian. Preferred length of the articles is 5 000 words for papers, 3 000 words for reviews of published  translations, and 1000 words for book reviews.

Proposals (with author, title, and brief summary of content) are due no later than December 31, 2010.

Papers must be submitted no later than December 31, 2011.

The volume will be published during the calendar year 2012.

Please send any inquiries to me at mkatz at middlebury.edu<mailto:mkatz at middlebury.edu>

Michael Katz
Fulbright Lecturer, Spring 2010
UFSC