"Chekhov, prime fare of the Soviet schoolroom"

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri Apr 30 13:17:12 UTC 2010

Dear all,

In a recent article about Grossman and Ehrenburg (in KRITIKA, summer 2009)
Katerina Clark discusses a mention of Chekhov in Simonov¹s ŒDays and
Nights¹.  She refers to Chekhov as Œprime fare of the Soviet schoolroom¹.

Is this correct?  I have realized that I have no clear idea of when Chekhov
became part of the Soviet canon.

Vsego dobrogo,

Robert