who will teach Russian language the adopted Russian children in US?

Avram Lyon ajlyon at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 30 18:13:11 UTC 2010

Dear SEELANGS,

I've worked with children adopted from Russian-speaking countries for
several years in my capacity as assistant director of Lesnoe Ozero,
the Russian language program of Concordia Language Villages in
Minnesota, and I certainly concur with Alina in that adoptees
represent a unique situation in language learning, attrition and
socialization. We regularly have adopted children in our
immersion-based language programs, and we have found a Russian
environment to often be a positive experience for the children. In a
mixed program of heritage, adoptee, and non-native learners of
Russian, we have found that adoptees help heritage learners value
their home language more, and that the overall positive valuation of
the Russian language can be of immense importance for adoptees (and
heritage learners) as they try to form a new, positive, relationship
with their birth language.

The incredibly fast attrition of adoptees' Russian is something we
observe as well, but most of the adopted students are able to maintain
a bare minimum of Russian through annual summer attendance, and  older
adoptees have been able to work on reading, writing, and speaking
skills in Russian to continue, to a certain degree, the process of
language development that was interrupted upon adoption.

As for the new agreement on adoptions, I imagine that the Russian
government has little idea of how quickly Russian attrites in children
adopted up to age 11 or so. Nonetheless, it does seem to be possible
to overcome the psychological trauma associated with children's birth
language and establish Russian as a valued part of an adoptee's
linguistic repertoire and more broadly as a positive element in the
child's new, hybrid identity.

As adoptive families reach out to Russian educators to help preserve
newly adopted children's birth language, I expect we will learn more
about how to best work with the affective specifics of adoptee
language. As we found with heritage speakers, adoptees cannot be
treated as L2 learners or as native speakers.

I have done some preliminary research on adoptee language and the
director of Lesnoe Ozero, Lara Ravitch (ravitch at cord.edu), has been
working with the affective aspects of this as well. Also, Elena
Schmitt at Connecticut State University has been studying Russian
adoptee language. There is much more to be learned here. I would be
glad to share my experience and results with anyone who is interested
in working with Russian adoptees, and I know that Lara would be glad
to discuss the Lesnoe Ozero's experience and programs.

Regards,

Avram Lyon
Graduate student
Dept. of Slavic Languages and Literatures
UCLA