RE  :[SEELANGS] Card game for sharks and sailors

FRISON Philippe Philippe.FRISON at COE.INT
Mon Aug 9 20:40:53 UTC 2010

If Alina Israeli is rightn "Akulina is indeed the game called "Old maid" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_maid_(card_game) in English (where the remaining card is the spade queen, therefore called "pisseuse" in Quebec French) and "Mistigri" or "Pouilleux" in French (where the remaining card is the Black jack).

Philippe Frison
(Strasbourg, France)

________________________________

De: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list de la part de Alina Israeli
Date: lun. 09/08/2010 19:37
À: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Objet : Re: [SEELANGS] Card game for sharks and sailors

The full name of the game is Akulina: http://rules.net.ru/dcards.php?
id=1
Akulina means 'old maid', so it stands for the last left over card -
Queen of Spades. The one who has it at the end is the looser.
It's sort of similar to the card game UNO  American children play.

As you can see, the Cyrilic part is not readable.

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave.