Petersburg researcher requesting info on studying in USSR?

Anne Lounsbery anne.lounsbery at NYU.EDU
Mon Aug 9 21:36:06 UTC 2010

I have been asked by Dr. Diana Greene, Slavic Studies Librarian at NYU, to
post the question below. Please REPLY TO DR. GREENE at diana.greene at nyu.edu.

Dr. Greene writes:

I have received an email from Albina Krymskaya asking for information about
my IREX year in Leningrad. Has anyone else received such an e-mail? If so,
I'd be grateful if you would contact me offline.

Diana Greene,

     Slavic Studies Librarian,

     Bobst Library, NYU

     diana.greene at nyu.edu

     212 998-2504

Here's the e-mail

My name is Albina Krymskaya. I am from St. Petersburg, Russia. I work on the
theme "American participants of scholarly exchanges in Leningrad University"
(scholarly advisor R.Sh. Ganelin, St. Petersburg Institute of History of
Russian Academy of sciences). The idea of my research is to gather all
American exchange students and young scholars who were in Leningrad
University in different years and to describe scholarly exchanges between
two countries using reminiscences of stazhers. Through IREX reports for
1981-82 academic year I found out that you were on exchange in Soviet Union.
The only problem is that they do not say the name of Soviet university where
a participant was on exchange.

If you were in Leningrad University could you please help me and share your
experience in Soviet Union?

There are some questions that I would like you to answer as well:

Why were you interested in Russian/Soviet studies?

Who was your scholarly advisor in USA?

At what faculty/chair did you study in Leningrad University?

Who was your scholar adviser in Leningrad University? Was your communication
with him useful for you? What did you learn from him?

What surprised you while in Leningrad?

Any other reminiscences are welcome.

Also could you please attach your CV?

Hope to receive a positive answer from you.

Best regards,

Albina Krymskaya

Belysheva str., 4-316

St. Petersburg, 193318