Russian skazki

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Aug 10 19:39:32 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I am compiling a collection of  Russian Magic Tales for Penguin Classics,
for a general readership.  I do not intend to be strict with regard to
genres, and I shall be including both narodnye and avtorskie skazki.

I have decided which avtorskie skazki to include and I have a fair idea of
what I shall include from Afanasyev.  But I have read very little indeed of
the other collections ­ Onchukov, Kupryanikha, etc.  I should be very
grateful to hear from anyone who has particular favourites from these
collections.  A lot of the material I already have is well known, so
less-known material would be particularly helpful.

But really I would just like people to name a few stories that stick in
their
mind, stories that generally make an impression on students, stories
with vivid images, stories that make you think...  I will be very grateful
indeed for any suggestions.

I also have a more specific question.  Natalie Kononenko summarizes a
wonderful Ukrainian version of the Snake Husband on pages 27-29 of her
Slavic Folklore Handbook.  It ends tragically, with the heroine turning
herself into a cuckoo so she can forever lament her murdered snake-husband.
Does anyone know where I can find a Russian version of this?

All the best, and thanks in advance,

Robert