Russian skazki - Beauty and the Beast

Bidoshi, Kristin A. bidoshik at UNION.EDU
Wed Aug 11 14:25:13 UTC 2010

There are a number of Russian oral variants of the Beauty and the Beast subtype (425C) recorded and published during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.  Among those are Afanesev's "The Enchanted Prince", Kovalev's "Wondrous Sea Monster-Forest Beast", Samokhvalova's "Crimson Flower", Smirnov's "Morskoi tsar i kupecheskaia doch'" and Korguev's "The Crimson Flower" and others (See Barag, Lev Grigorevich and I. P. Berezovskii. Vostochnoslavianskaia skazka sravnitel'nyi ukazatel' siuzhetov.  Leningrad: Nauka, 1979 for the full list of 17).

Kristin Bidoshi
Dean of Studies and
Associate Professor of Russian
Union College
Science and Engineering Building 100
Schenectady, NY 12308

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Alina Israeli
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:01 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian skazki

If they are for general readership, I don't think you should look at
the original tales as told by story tellers. The language is far from
literary and the reading is not easy for those who do not do it
professionally. Besides, all of us grew up on tales "v obrabotke",
often by A.N. Tolstoy. Same thing goes for Grimm tales, and Perrault
tales, they are not the "original" tales but their take on them.

A snake-husband does not sound like a Russian tale, although I could
be mistaken. The Beauty and the Beast motive (and the related issue
of incest) does not appear in Russian folklore to my knowledge
(Alen'kij cvetochek is by Aksakov), and the snake-husband seems to be
a variation on the beast (although I don't know the whole tale of
course, so I could be mistaken).

AI

On Aug 10, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Robert Chandler wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am compiling a collection of  Russian Magic Tales for Penguin
> Classics,
> for a general readership.  I do not intend to be strict with regard to
> genres, and I shall be including both narodnye and avtorskie skazki.
>
> I have decided which avtorskie skazki to include and I have a fair
> idea of
> what I shall include from Afanasyev.  But I have read very little
> indeed of
> the other collections - Onchukov, Kupryanikha, etc.
>

> I also have a more specific question.  Natalie Kononenko summarizes a
> wonderful Ukrainian version of the Snake Husband on pages 27-29 of her
> Slavic Folklore Handbook.  It ends tragically, with the heroine
> turning
> herself into a cuckoo so she can forever lament her murdered snake-
> husband.
> Does anyone know where I can find a Russian version of this?

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave.