r.i.p. Lesia Stavytska

Maria Dmytriyeva xmas at UA.FM
Wed Aug 11 15:06:37 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

I have sad news --
http://www.unian.net/ukr/news/news-390793.html
on August 7, 2010, died Lesia Oleksiyivna Stavytska, a prominent Ukrainian sociolinguist, author of several monographs and dictionaries, including the one on slang and jargon (http://book-ye.com.ua/shop/product_8763.html)

and the one on obscenities (http://book-ye.com.ua/shop/product_3339.html).

she was only 47.
today there was a farewell ceremony at the Institute of Ukrainian language, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.

for me she was a dear colleague and someone to look up to, for two years she took care as of the seminar in gender linguistics that I organized and acted as its official head.
we had plans on future joint research in gender linguistics and in study of surzhyk. it is truly heart-wrenching to know they will now never be brought to life.

With best regards,
Maria

--
Mariya M. Dmytriyeva
Fulbright Scholar,

Акция! При покупке хостинга, ВПС или аренде сервера +1 месяц и домен
в подарок. http://freehost.ua