Russian skazki

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Aug 11 16:26:39 UTC 2010

I think many folklorists will regret Robert's (or his publisher's)
decision to mix folk tales with literary tales, and I would regret it
even more if mixture were to be muddied further by the inclusion of the
Bruce stories. Surely the legends about Bruce and other historical
persons and events cannot be classified as skazki? They are more
appropriately called 'legendy' by Baranov in his 1920's collection
(reprinted as Moskovskie legendy, M., 1993), and since Baranov published
them from memory their status is a bit dubious anyway. Two strange books
on Bruce appeared in 2003 and fostered even more legends - see my review
in Kritika, 6,1, 2005.

Incidentally Bruce is usually called James in the English literature
about him (Iakov = James and Jacob - both are derived from Latin
Jacobus) - my own notes (can't find the source at the moment - sorry)
say that he was christened James, and certainly English ownership
inscriptions in some of his books read 'James Bruce'.

I would also have some doubt about calling Bruce an alchemist - this
claim has been made elsewhere and seems to be based mainly, if not
entirely, on the number of alchemical books in his large library. In
fact the number of medical books in his library was much larger, but he
did not practice medicine, although the group of books devoted to the
cure of gout may indicate a personal interest. I hope no obituarist ever
draws similar conclusions from the number of books on magic in my library!

Will Ryan