Russian skazki

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Aug 11 16:49:23 UTC 2010

Simon, thanks for the puff, but actually it won't help Robert all,
except perhaps to draw his attention to William Ralston, one of the
founders of the Folklore Society, a pioneer British Russianist and
arguably the first scholar of Russian folktales outside Russia, a friend
of Afanas'ev and Turgenev, and the first to publish translations of
Russian tales (see excellent article by Patrick Waddington in the Oxford
Dictionary of National Biography, and more recently my presidential
address to the Folklore Society, 'W.R.S. Ralston and the Russian
Folktale', Folklore, 120, 2, 2009).

Will