Russian skazki

Muireann Maguire mm504 at CAM.AC.UK
Wed Aug 11 17:30:46 UTC 2010

Robert, what I had in mind as potentially 'magical' texts for your interest
were the Baranov tales mentioned by William Ryan(Moskovskye legendy, which
can be downloaded as a free e-book here
http://imwerden.de/pdf/baranov_moskovskie_legendy.pdf) and a peasant legend
from Bruce's Kaluga estate, retold by M.V. Chistiakov as 'Narodnoe predanie
o Briuse: iz vospominanii moego tovarishcha', in Russkaia starina, 1871,
IV, pp. 167-170. The latter is quite a short piece. I would not dare argue
with an eminent folklorist about whether the inclusion of alchemy as a
theme, or legends about real-life origins as source material, is legitimate
in an anthology of folklore. However these tales are genuinely fascinating
in their own right...

My own interest in Iakov/James Bruce lies precisely in his reception as an
alchemist - although the key word 'reception' liberates me from speculating
as to whether he actually was an alchemist in his free time or not.
Valentin Boss's monograph 'Newton and Russia: The Early Influence,
1698-1796' (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1972) cannot actually
prove that he was, but it presents evidence that Bruce probably associated
with the known alchemist Newton during the former's visit to London in
1698. He was also associated with the phantasmagorical Neptune society but
I think history begins to fade into legend at this point. It's very
interesting that William Ryan identifies doubts over Bruce's real-life
credentials as an alchemist, since folklore certainly pigeonholes him as
one.

What is extraordinary about Bruce is the virtually unanimous reinvention of
this undoubtedly talented and multifaceted individual as a black magician,
alchemist, Satanist, etc, by sources ranging from peasant legends, to urban
legend, to literature and poetry. Even Lazhechnikov called him a 'koldun'
and a 'chernoknizhnik'; his unfinished novel on Bruce subscribed to the
growing body of legends about the Sukharevskii Tower in Moscow, where Bruce
allegedly located his astronomical observatory.

Best,

Muireann
--
Dr Muireann Maguire                Jesus College, Cambridge