Russian skazki

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Thu Aug 12 08:16:32 UTC 2010

Dear Will Ryan and all,

> I think many folklorists will regret Robert's (or his publisher's)
> decision to mix folk tales with literary tales, and I would regret it
> even more if mixture were to be muddied further
My own decision - and I am surprised by your disapproval.  I do not see that
any muddying will result from a book consisting of a number of clearly
defined separate sections.  One section will be a selection from Afanasyev;
another a selection of Bazhov's wonderful versions of stories from the
Urals; another of Platonov's fine versions of Afanasyev; etc.

There has always been interplay between oral and literary traditions.  One
of my aims is to call attention to some of this.

Best Wishes,

Robert