Brat ’ ili ne brat’?

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Sat Aug 14 15:40:25 UTC 2010

It strikes me that, along with all the other linguistic explanations,
брать курс suggests the experience is a kind of дегустация. We speakers
of American English have not had the same kind of vocational
preparation associated with the "liberal arts" curriculum. We have
encouraged a kind of picking and choosing akin to a food buffet. It
will be interesting to see of current economic transitions lead to a
linguistic shift in our own language!

Melissa Smith

On 8/13/10 2:54 PM, Evelina Mendelevich wrote:
> Dear SEELANGers,
>
> I hope you will help me answer the question raised in one of my
Russian for
> Heritage Speakers classes. We had a long discussion, but we didn't
arrive to
> a definite conclusion. A tutor corrected one of the students when he
used
> the expression "В этом семестре я беру физику и статистику."  He
instructed
> the student to use "изучаю" instead. Although "изучаю" appears to be
the
> official version, it seems to me that "брать предмет" is not Anglicism
but
> an appropriate way of reflecting American university system in which
the
> student indeed "takes," or chooses, his or her "предметы." Since
Russian has
> the expression "брать уроки," as in "брать уроки по гитаре," the
choice of
> the verb appears to be dictated by the context (discretionary vs.
> mandatory). My question is, do you (or would you) allow students the
use of
>  "брать" when they talk about their college courses? Somehow, "что вы
> изучаете в этом семестре" doesn't sound right for me in this context ,
while
> " какие предметы вы берете" does. Thank you in advance!
>

> --
> All the Best,
> Evelina Mendelevich

-