Computer-assisted language learning: activities and techniques?

Olga Livshin afol at UAA.ALASKA.EDU
Sat Aug 21 04:42:35 UTC 2010

Dear All,

I am wondering if anyone can suggest resources on (and/or successful examples of) specific techniques and sample activities for teaching languages with the student use of computers in the classroom. I will be able to teach with the use of a language lab at my university this fall, and I'd like to make this aspect of learning effective for my students.

I am aware of a few different forms of computer-assisted language learning, as well as some activities (e.g., collaborative writing, "shopping" online, e-mail pen-pals, talking and chat through Skype or similar software). I would be interested in knowing how successful these or other activities have been for others. Small-group activities with the use of commonly used software (a Web browser, Microsoft Word, and/or Skype) are especially of interest.

Many thanks for your time!

Best,
Olga Livshin
University of Alaska Anchorage